Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Winnebago Rapids


from: Wisconsin: Its Geography, and Topography, History, Geology, and Mineralogy, Increase Allen Lapham; Milwaukee: I.A. Hopkins, pub (1846)
I've always been fascinated with the early, early days of Menasha.  You can find many refences to Menasha's early days on this blog and in my book.  Nothing highlights the infancy of the town more to me than this passage from the referenced Lapham history above that describes the raw, turbulent river from which so much manufacturing and commerce depended on.  That the river later became the Fox, rather than remaining known as the Neenah still amuses me.  Garlic Island, as mentioned here, lies north of current day Oshkosh and the reference to Clifton...well, that's better known today as High Cliff.   

No comments:

Post a Comment